Sunday, March 30, 2008

Really?

Sunny in Fort Collins

Back in New England, we had our sunny days. They were nice. We also had our overcast rainy/snowy days. Plenty of them. Since moving to Colorado, I didn't experience any overcast days - pretty much bright, cloudless sunny days with highs in the 50's and 60's. They're the kind of days where it is impossible to be in a bad mood, and everyone is running around all cheerful.

That just ain't right.

While living in Vermont, I always took the overcast days for granted. It wasn't until I moved to Colorado and they were gone that I started to miss them. Really, really miss them. I'm not sure why, but I found the overcast days comforting. They were low-energy days. Days of low ambition. Days where I could be in my own little world. Days where it was O.K. to be grumpy. With it sunny all the time in Colorado, people don't use the weather as an excuse to be introverted. It's go-go-go, happy-happy-happy all the time. Makes me wanna smack someone. *smile*.

Until Thursday, when I woke up to this:
Snowing in Fort Collins

Sure, it wasn't the heavy snow that we got in Vermont, and it melted by noon. But, it was overcast, and it was snowing big, heavy flakes. It put me in a good mood. A genuinely, happy, peaceful good mood. When I got to work, everyone was pretty quiet and introspective, and I was really giddy. No one asked why, but that didn't stop me from thinking about the reason - with the overcast, snowy weather, it made me feel at home.

No comments: