Tuesday, March 18, 2008

A day at the slopes? office?

Friday was the day that my employer arranged to send our group (everyone working in the Northern Front Range, anyway) skiing for the day at Copper Mountain. We loaded the bus at the various offices (Fort Collins, Longmont, Boulder) and headed for the mountains. We spent the day skiing/riding, having fun, getting to know each other, and eating. It was a blast, and I really appreciated getting to know many of the people in the office who I don't work with directly. The snow was perfect, as they got 6" of powder the night before. Tired and satisfied, we took the bus back home. Looking back, I just realized something ... no one (at least no one I spoke with) talked about work the entire day. Lots of joking around, talk about families, talk about skiing ... but no shop talk! How nice!

I spent the rest of the weekend trying to recover from all the activity on Friday. I went to the Yoga studio, which was good. I also got a little more settled in my new home, and searched for some food that I was craving. I wanted to find a good Gyro shop in Fort Collins. I found Yum Yum, which won the local newspaper's award for best Ethnic food in Fort Collins. It was delicious, but not as good as Cafe Mediterrano in Essex, VT, and no where near as good as Ali Baba Grill in Golden, CO. Next, I wanted to find Bubble Tea. After searching online, I found that an Asian restaurant in town has some, so I gave it a try. The fruit tea part was ok, but they were really stingy with the tapioca pearls, and they put so much ice in the glass that it was hard to fish for the few pearls that were in there. Joyce made a mean Bubble Tea back in Vermont, and that will he hard to beat.

While unpacking boxes on Saturday, I finally found my cross country ski boots. I was really excited, because that meant I could go cross country skiing, finally, in Rocky Mountain National Park on Sunday. Or so I thought ... on Sunday morning, I woke up and realized ... all my kick wax was still lurking in a box somewhere that had not yet been unpacked. Dang.

No comments: